Published: Fri, April 07, 2017
Sports | By Phillip Butler

Middlesbrough shoved closer to the drop as Hull hit four

Middlesbrough shoved closer to the drop as Hull hit four

Since 31st March, 2014, Silva has taken charge of 40 home matches (with Estoril, Sporting Lisbon and now Hull), winning 33 of them, drawing seven and losing zilch - putting a combined total of 106 points on the board in the process. "That's 'can we score a goal?' but also know clean sheets can help us win games".

Hull now sit on 30 points having played 31 matches and captain Dawson is confident they can go on to retain their top-flight status.

Considering the mess Hull were in when Marco Silva arrived in January - for a start, they were six points behind Boro at the time - this is a remarkable turnaround.

Boro, who have taken one point from three games since sacking Aitor Karanka last month, were backed by 2,500 travelling fans at the KCOM, where Agnew spent over two years as assistant boss to Steve Bruce.

He added: "It's about the team and we wont stop fighting".

Adama Traore's low angled cross from the right side of the penalty area was turned home at the far by the unmarked Negredo.

First, Lazar Markovic, a threat all night, pounced to fire in the equaliser from close range after Abel Hernandez had been unable to convert a deflected looping cross from Andrew Robertson.

The end-to-end stuff continued unabated as a Middlesbrough surged forward, Rudy Gestede's goalbound header being tipped onto the bar by Hull 'keeper Eldin Jakupovic.

Hernandez followed that nuisance value by creating Hull's second, the Uruguayan capitalising on Ben Gibson mis-reading the flight of the ball before passing to Niasse, who fired in from 12 yards.

Hull struck again when Maguire's diagonal ball was crossed first time by Kamil Grosicki from the right and with Valdes stranded, Hernandez steered home his fourth league goal of the season.

The pace, understandably, slackened after half-time, but the game remained remarkably open with chances at either end.

Maarten de Roon pulled a goal back for Middlesbrough in first-half stoppage time but Harry Maguire's header from a free kick in the 70th restored Hull's two-goal cushion. The great escape really might be on after all in the East Riding.

Marten de Roon headed home when offside but referee Michael Oliver allowed it.

Like this: