Published: Thu, April 06, 2017
Sports | By Phillip Butler

Stadium measure's defeat likely ends St. Louis' MLS chances

Stadium measure's defeat likely ends St. Louis' MLS chances

"We think this vote will reflect in no uncertain terms the taxpayers' overwhelming support for our plan, which will turn this city's liability into a massive city asset with no taxpayer dollars", FS Investors principal Mike Stone said in a news conference at the Qualcomm Stadium site on Tuesday. The rejection also comes after the city's Board of Aldermen didn't bother putting up to public vote a plan to build a riverfront stadium for the now-departed St. Louis Rams, knowing the support wasn't there.

On Tuesday, in an election that had far higher turnout than most municipal general elections, city voters rejected a contentious proposal to fund a Major League soccer stadium by a 53 percent to 47 percent margin.

St. Louis was a favorite for an MLS expansion team that would have started playing in 2020.

It appears St. Louis will, for now, remain a two-sport city. FS Investors told San Diego media that MLS won't make its decision until after the November 7 vote.

But the effort was contingent on approval of public financing, Commissioner Don Garber said at a rally in St. Louis last week.

Dan Courtemanche, Major League Soccer's executive vice president of communications, released a statement via Twitter.

A member of the ownership group that sought an MLS franchise for St. Louis calls the defeat of public financing "likely the final stage of our journey".

The city has said it could close Qualcomm Stadium by 2018.

The group proposed the development shortly after the NFL's Chargers announced they were relocating to the Los Angeles area.

Like this: