Published: Wed, May 10, 2017
Local | By Adrian Hale

US man arrested over series of fatal Arizona shootings


Police in Arizona have arrested a 23-year-old man accused of spreading terror around the state capital Phoenix with a series of random shootings that left nine people dead.

After an investigation, however, police said they linked Saucedo, dubbed the "serial street shooter", to the random murders of eight others between August 2015 and July 2016.

The gunman's targets included men, women and children, many of them ambushed near their homes in a working-class neighborhood from August 2015 to July 2016.

The relatives of two victims in a serial shooting case that Phoenix police say they've solved say they're relieved but hurting emotionally.

Authorities on Monday said Aaron Saucedo faces homicide charges in connection with a case police have said was the work of a serial killer.

"Now my heart goes out to those families, and I hope they can get justice, too", said Lora Romero.

The case finally broke when Saucedo was arrested last month in connection with the August 2015 fatal shooting of 61-year-old Raul Romero, who had a relationship with Saucedo's mother. Phoenix police say that they have " a wide host of evidence", that includes ballistics, witnesses and forensic evidence connecting Saucedo to the deaths of at least nine.

Investigators initially believed a serial shooter was responsible for seven deaths previous year, but in recent weeks they determined two other victims were also shot by the same gunman, who they believe to be Saucedo, including the victim killed in August 2015.

Mr Castro-Garcia, 19, was fatally shot on June 10 2016. On Monday, he was booked on 26 additional felony counts, including in another slaying that hadn't previously been tied to the serial shooter.

'Today is a good day in the city of Phoenix.

Saucedo told authorities he had changed his appearance and stopped driving his BMW after the police released descriptions of him and the vehicle last summer, Howard said.

Authorities say Saucedo didn't know the other victims.

Prosecutors said it hasn't been decided how many cases they will take to trial, suggesting the evidence in some is stronger than in others.

"[Police] said they couldn't give me a lot of details, as it's still an active case", Ellis said.

April 1: Diego Verdugo-Sanchez, 21, killed at around 9:00 p.m.

" 'I had a gut feeling it was him, ' she told paper on Monday".

Jesse Olivas, 22, was shot dead on the street on January 1, 2016.

Ms Smith said she had grown frustrated over the past year as detectives kept her in the dark about the investigation.

The next shooting did not happen until April 1 2016, when Mr Verdugo-Sanchez was fatally shot.

The weapon was the same type used in the freeway shootings - a High-Point 9mm pistol - but authorities say Saucedo had nothing to do with that case.

"I'm happy my kids are going to be able to walk outside and I won't have to fear that they're going to get shot", Pastrana said.

Like this: