Published: Sat, June 10, 2017
Medicine | By Rogelio Lindsey

London police arrest another attack suspect

London police arrest another attack suspect

A third French citizen has died following last week's terror attack on London Bridge, President Emmanuel Macron said on Wednesday, taking the overall death toll to eight.

He is thought to be 45-year-old Xavier Thomas, who was in London for the weekend with his girlfriend.

The Metropolitan Police said the body was found on Tuesday downstream from the bridge.

"Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Mr. Thomas' next of kin have been informed of this development", Met Police said in a statement.

Thomas and his girlfriend were visiting London at the time of the attack.

The London Bridge attackers tried to hire a seven-and-a-half tonne lorry to carry out their attack, police say.

About 50 others were wounded.

After ploughing a white van into several pedestrians on London Bridge, the killers ran down a flight of stairs at the side of London Bridge towards Cafe Brood near Borough Market.

The fierce security debate comes as United Kingdom authorities faced new questions over how one of the London Bridge attackers was let into Britain despite being on a security watch list.

Former Conservative Home Office minister Damian Green said on Wednesday that the European Union information-sharing system should have been enough to stop Zaghba travelling to the UK.

Meanwhile, speaking at her house in Bologna, Italy, Zaghba's mother told the BBC she believed her son was radicalised in the UK.

Collina said she had spoken to Italy's anti-terrorism police past year after her son was prevented from travelling to the Middle East, and that they were the ones to told her on Tuesday that her son had been one of the men who carried out the attack.

He said: "Although the police and security services have done a great job of protecting us, in this instance it is clear there are questions to be answered".

The 30-year-old was held on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorist acts during a search of a property in Ilford and taken for questioning at a south London police station, Scotland Yard said.

"The security and intelligence services and police have stopped 18 plots since 2013, including five since the Westminster attack two months ago".

The three terrorists were later gunned down and killed by police.

However, late on Monday, police released without charge all 12 people that were initially detained on Sunday in police raids on two addresses in Barking, east London, in connection with Saturday's terrorist attacks.

On Wednesday, NHS England said 29 patients remain in London hospitals, with 10 in a critical condition.

However when he appeared in a Channel 4 documentary, The Jihadis Next Door, a year ago officers did view the programme.

Like this: