Published: Fri, September 22, 2017
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

British police arrest third man in London bomb attack investigation

British police arrest third man in London bomb attack investigation

The UK's threat level has been lowered from "critical" to "severe" after two people were arrested in connection with the terror attack at Parsons Green Tube station.

At 8:20 a.m. London time, emergency services responded to a reported "explosion" at the Parsons Green underground station in the city's southwest.

Britain's terror threat level remains at "critical" — the highest level — meaning that authorities believe another attack is imminent.

Officials raised the total number of people injured Friday by the partial detonation of a bomb on the subway train and the stampede that followed to 30. Islamic State militants have claimed credit for other previous attacks, including two in London and one at a concert by American singer Ariana Grande in Manchester.

"We now have five men in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses".

Over the weekend, two other suspects - an 18-year-old man and 21-year-old man - were detained in connection with the tube attack and remain in custody.

Police investigators are searching a garden shed in Surrey which may have been used as a bomb factory in the terror attack on the London Underground last week, according to a report.

Local media said the home belongs to a couple who have fostered hundreds of children, including refugees.

She said the press office would not ordinarily provide this detail on a live investigation. Dave Solway, who lives opposite Mr and Mrs Jones, said he saw the property being "swarmed" by police during Saturday's raid.

To 07h50 Saturday, police arrested an 18 year old man for his alleged involvement in "the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism", he said.

Both suspects Yahyah Farroukh, 21, and the younger man, understood to be the suspected bomber, are believed to have spent time in foster care with Penelope and Ronald Jones, aged 71 and 88 respectively, who previously received MBEs for services to children and families.

The apparent police interest in the shed comes two days after CCTV footage recorded just outside the house was obtained by ITV. This operation has allowed the police to put the hand on "multiple objects", while the suspect has been transferred to a police station in London, has detailed Neil Basu.

Like this: