Published: Sun, October 22, 2017
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

Fourteen feared dead in Malaysia landslide

Fourteen feared dead in Malaysia landslide

The bodies of two Indonesians and one Myanmarese were pulled from the debris, while two other workers escaped with light injuries, officials said.

Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak has expressed sadness over the deadly landslide at a construction site in Tanjung Bungah, Penang earlier this morning.

Penang Fire and Rescue Department Operation Centre spokesman said the incident occurred at a construction site in Lengkok Lembah Permai, Tanjung Bungah.

An aerial view of the construction site that collapsed, in Tanjung Bungah, on Oct 21, 2017.

She said the bodies of two dead were recovered from the scene, the first at 9.55am and second at 10.43am.

A foreign worker told the New Straits Times that the landslide happened in a flash. He said the victims were believed to be migrant workers.

Dozens of rescue workers, some carrying stretchers, combed a construction site where the landslide hit.

"I was operating the crane when suddenly the earth caved in".

Another Bangladeshi Mohd Awal Jafra Alma, 21, said a friend alerted him that his younger brother Abdul Rahman, 18, was buried in landslide.

Penang city Mayor Maimunah Mohamad Sharif said weather on the island was dry and the cause of the landslide wasn't clear.

He said the operation had to be halted to ensure the safety of the search and rescue operation personnel.

He said the victims included a Malaysian, who is the supervisor.

Like this: