Published: Sun, October 22, 2017
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

UNAMA Puts Kabul Mosque Attack Death Toll At 50

UNAMA Puts Kabul Mosque Attack Death Toll At 50

Maj. Gen. Dawlat Waziri, spokesman of the Ministry of Defence (MoD), told Afghanistan's Pajhwok news agency that the suicide bomber walked closed to the cadets' bus and detonated himself, leaving 15 cadets dead and four injured.

Suicide bombers struck two mosques in Afghanistan during Friday prayers, a Shiite mosque in Kabul and a Sunni mosque in western Ghor province, killing at least 63 people at the end of a particularly deadly week for the troubled nation.

The suicide attack in the village of Khojagan in the Dolaina district of Ghor province targeted a local pro-government armed group leader and members of his group who had been praying in a Sunni mosque.

The United States strongly condemned the October 20 attacks and previous attacks in Afghanistan during a week in which US drones strikes were reported to have killed more than 30 militants in the region.

The attack takes this week's death toll from militant attacks to 200, and is the second major attack in Kabul in the past 24 hours.

The Taliban have said they carried out the attack.

At that time, 13 people were killed and dozens injured in the assault claimed by Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL). Earlier this year, following an attack claimed by IS on the Iraqi Embassy in Kabul, the militant group effectively declared war on Afghanistan's Shiites, saying they would be the target of future attacks.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for either attack. In addition, several attempted suicide bombings in Kabul have been foiled.

In August, more than 40 Shia Muslims were killed in Kabul when Daesh terrorists attacked a mosque packed with worshipers.

Like this: