Published: Sun, December 03, 2017
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

Leclerc joins Ericsson at Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 team

Leclerc joins Ericsson at Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 team

Ferrari was known to be keen on placing both its outstanding junior drivers, Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi, at Sauber for 2018 as part of an expanded technical partnership with the team.

The driver line-up was confirmed by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne during a launch event of the new Alfa Romeo Sauber partnership - announced earlier this week - in Milan.

Sauber, meanwhile, had Marcus Ericsson angling for a seat despite not scoring any points in either of the last two seasons, relying heavily on his links to the team's owners. During the event, a previous generation F1 vehicle was unveiled featuring a red and white livery and a prominent Alfa Romeo badge (above, with Leclerc and Ericsson).

Ferrari-backed Leclerc, from Monaco, had been expected to get the drive.

"Formula One is the natural reference point for a marque like this", he said.

The news was announced Saturday as the team's Formula One vehicle was also unveiled with it's slick red and white colouring with a prominent Alfa Romeo logo.

Marchionne added that the partnership would also strengthen his hand in talks with Formula One about the sport's future and warned that the deal could end in 2021 if Ferrari made a decision to walk away as they have threatened.

"I am very happy to be entering Formula 1 in 2018", said Leclerc.

Like this: