Published: Thu, April 05, 2018
Entertaiment | By Simon Arnold

Prince Philip Recovering 'Satisfactorily' Following Successful Hip Replacement Surgery

Prince Philip Recovering 'Satisfactorily' Following Successful Hip Replacement Surgery

"He is progressing satisfactorily at this early stage", the palace added in a statement Wednesday.

The royal residence said Prince Philip had the "successful hip replacement operation" at King Edward VII's Hospital in central London, which often treats members of Britain's royal family.

The duke's hip problem forced him to miss the annual Maundy Service with the Queen last week which this year was staged at Windsor Castle's St George's Chapel.

The 96-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II is recovering after undergoing a successful hip replacement operation on Wednesday (Thursday NZ Time), Buckingham Palace said.

The 96-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone yesterday for the procedure.

He is said to be "comfortable and in good spirits".

It was founded in 1899 at the suggestion of the then-Prince of Wales, and has treated most senior members of the royal family, including the Queen, Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge.

The Queen and Prince Philip celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary last November.

Buckingham Palace announced the news in a statement on Tuesday.

Buckingham Palace has said it will provide updates "when appropriate" but has not provided details about the nature of the surgery.

That same month, the Royal couple announced that their wedding day will be open to the public.

The royal was last spotted out in public on 5th March, carriage riding around Windsor Castle. Harry and Markle have requested that those chosen represent a variety of ages and backgrounds and include young people who have displayed strong leadership and served their communities.

Like this: