Published: Tue, September 25, 2018
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

Officer accused in shooting death of neighbor fired by Dallas Police Dept.

Officer accused in shooting death of neighbor fired by Dallas Police Dept.

A Dallas police officer who fatally shot a black man inside his own flat, saying she confused it for her own home, has been fired.

During a community meeting, Chief U. Reneé Hall had said that she could not fire Guyger because of "federal, state, and local laws ... civil service laws", although WFAA found that department policy appeared to contradict that statement.

Guyger was arrested on a preliminary charge of manslaughter days after the shooting.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Guyger told police that she had finished a 15-hour shift when she parked her auto on the fourth floor of her apartment building instead of the third floor where she lived. Jean was pronounced dead at an area hospital.

Guyger was arrested three days after the incident after the Texas Rangers made a decision to postpone pursuing a warrant "until they could follow up on information that they received from the interview with the officer". (Hall has said the arrest was delayed because the Texas Rangers, who took charge of the investigation, wanted more time.) She was booked and charged, then released within two hours after posting the $300,000 bond.

Guyger claims she mistakenly walked into Jean's apartment thinking it was her own on the night of September 6, when she was approached by Jean and fatally shot him.

As she navigates in slow motion, trying to gain clarity about what really happened to her son, Allison Jean is committed to pushing forward to gain justice for his death.

Jean's family, who has pushed for Guyger's firing since the shooting, had mixed emotions after Hall's decision.

Officials said a grand jury will hear the case. When she opened the door fully, Guyger saw a "large silhouette" across the room and began giving commands, which Jean "ignored", the affidavit said. On the day of the shooting, Guyger's unit had arrested multiple suspects for armed robbery, he said. Guyger was placed on administrative leave immediately after the shooting, but such discipline was not adequate when weighed with her actions, critics said. Once the Rangers' investigation is complete, it'll be turned over to the district attorney's office. Guyger was allowed to remain free for almost four days after the shooting, a detail viewed by many as hypocritical.

Like this: