Published: Mon, December 03, 2018
Sports | By Phillip Butler

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder 'could meet in spring rematch'

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder 'could meet in spring rematch'

Deontay Wilder retained his WBC heavyweight crown here Saturday after battling to a split decision draw against Britain's Tyson Fury in a pulsating 12-round battle.

But Fury, in part with motivation from Wilder, eventually got his life under control and returned to the ring in June after a 31-month layoff and won two fights in a row before agreeing to face Wilder. "We poured our hearts out tonight".

"Wilder's got lightning fists and dynamite in his hands, he's a great fighter, I respect him a lot". "Let's give the fans what they want to see".

"Irrespective of who won, it's one of those fights you want to see it again".

Fury is aiming to reach the mountaintop of the heavyweight division - a position he once enjoyed after his win over the legendary Wladimir Klitschko in 2015. I rushed my punches.

Fury also said he hopes to arrange a rematch. I don't know, " Fury said. Wilder has emerged as a great heavyweight champion, and he continues to prove that. "Me and this man are the two best heavyweights on the planet".

Until a sensational final round knockdown from Wilder, Fury appeared to be heading towards what would have been a remarkable upset.

The 6-foot-9 Fury landed two solid rights inside 30 seconds remaining in the eighth round, as Wilder, who is 6-7, pawed with his jab and could not find the target for the right hand that had been cocked at his side.

The American champion struggled to connect cleanly with Fury throughout an absorbing contest, all too often sending huge arcing haymakers whistling past Fury's head. But 115-111 for Wilder is bad, just awful! Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) climbed back to his feet and eventually cleared his head, but it seemed as though all momentum had shifted in Wilder's favor.

Wilder, the more aggressive of the two fighters early on, quickly moved into an early lead.

Even though Wilder made a throat-slashing gesture and mouthed "It's over", Fury beat the count and went back to work. Fury used his twitchy movement and near-constant feints to disrupt the rhythm of Wilder, whose trademark looping punches rarely found their mark. The 6-foot-9 Fury spent almost every moment of the fight nimbly avoiding Wilder's punches in a masterful display - except for the two moments when the 6-foot-7 Wilder viciously knocked him to the canvas.

Fury recovered from two knockdowns, in the ninth and 12th rounds, to survive to the final bell. By the end of the round, they were going toe-to-toe as Fury regained his wits.

A right hand sent Fury rocking backwards towards the deck and a brutal left hand on the way down appeared to be the coup de grace for the challenger.

Like this: