Published: Tue, January 15, 2019
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

Jayme Closs case: Suspect saw parents as 'barrier' to kidnapping

Jayme Closs case: Suspect saw parents as 'barrier' to kidnapping

She was able to escape her abductor after almost three months of being held captive by Jake Thomas Patterson.

The grandfather of Jayme Closs said Sunday she's in "exceptionally good spirits", spending time with family three days after police said she escaped a man who allegedly killed her parents and held her captive for almost three months.

"Jayme is talking. She communicated with our team up there", Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said on Friday.

Jayme and her mother, Denise, heard the gunshots and hid in a bathroom as Patterson came to the front door, the complaint says.

"All I know is that she was able to get out of that house and get help and the people recognized her as Jayme Closs right away", Fitzgerald said over the weekend. She begged the woman for help, saying Patterson had been hiding her in a nearby cabin and that she had escaped when he left her alone.

The 13-year-old girl from Barron, Wis., on Thursday fled the cabin near the small town of Gordon - about an hour north of her home - where she said she had been imprisoned. The criminal complaint says Patterson told investigators he was driving to his job at a cheese factory one day near Almena, Wisconsin, when he stopped behind a school bus and watched Jayme get on. He says Jayme showed him the room where she is staying with an aunt in Barron, Wisconsin.

Smart told investigators she was raped daily and threatened with death if she tried to escape. "It's one of Jayme's favorite colors", said White.

After escaping last week Jayme was found, skinny and disheveled, about 60 miles away.

Police arrived to find the door kicked in, Jayme missing and her parents dead. The public defenders didn't reveal many specifics about what they expect from Monday's court hearing, but they acknowledged the case was "a tragic situation from every perspective". But there was still no sign of her, until Nutter, who was walking her dog, came across the teenager last Thursday. Her family insists they don't know the man.

The sheriff said Patterson had been keeping Jayme against her will at his home.

Engelhardt told Fox News the family is "looking for more answers" and moving forward she plans on being at every court proceeding for Patterson.

Allard said nobody in the family is asking her, "What happened?" "I asked her "who had you" and 'where did they have you?' I asked her about the vehicle, she said 'red auto, Jake Patterson.' One of the first things I said when I was on with 911, Jake Patterson, Jayme, this is real".

Investigators believe the goal of the assailant was to kidnap Jayme, though Patterson has no apparent prior connection to the family. She is now Jayme's legal guardian.

"I think he was my student", she recalled saying. He did work for one day at the same meat products plant where James and Denise were long-time employees, but authorities said they did not cross paths in Patterson's short time there.

Jayme told them Patterson wasn't going to be home until midnight, Kasinskas recalled.

The murders of James and Denise Closs on October 15 and disappearance of their young daughter shook the Barron community to its core.

According to De Andriano, the family wants to be in court because "they want justice".

Charging documents could shed more light on the case.

"I just was so happy that Jaymee was found alive".

"In my mind, I said, 'oh, that can't be the same person, '" she said.

Like this: