Published: Thu, February 07, 2019
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

Texas man killed by exploding vape pen

Texas man killed by exploding vape pen

"It just hurts so bad", Brown's grandmother, Alice, told the newspaper.

William Brown, 24, died on Jan 29 at a Fort Worth hospital from "cerebral infarction and herniation".

Brown claimed the device's battery malfunctioned, melting bits of plastic from her vehicle to the vape pen - which launched the charred debris into her grandson's face and neck, leaving her auto soaked in blood.

William Brown was at a vaporiser store in Keller in the U.S. when it happened. The study said there were likely more injuries that went unreported.

"Now he's got a new address in heaven", Alice Brown said.

Electronic cigarettes, or vape pens, are battery-operated devices that heat a liquid to generate vapor - which may contain nicotine - that users can inhale.

"He should have made it if they had done the surgery", Alice Brown told KTVT. It's not clear what type of vape pen Brown was using.

'He had a future ahead of him... a life ahead of him'.

The family said that they were hiring a lawyer.

A spokeswoman for the JPS Health Network said she could not comment on specifics due to privacy laws, but said the company is continuing to communicate with Brown's family and expressed their honest condolences.

A report from the US Federal Emergency Management Agency said 133 people were injured by faulty devices between January 2009 and December 2016.

The official cause of death was "penetrating trauma from exploding vaporizer pen".

The agency reported that e-cigarettes present a unique hazard because of the presence of a lithium-ion battery in a device used so close to the face.

A Texas man died of a massive stroke after the e-cigarette he was using exploded and tore his carotid artery.

Brown was rushed to the hospital and his family told KTVT that he was put into a medically-induced coma and that x-rays showed that part of the e-cigarette was lodged in his throat.

In May, Florida authorities investigated the death of a 38-year-old man named Tallmadge D'Elia, who suffered multiple injuries to his face.

The Food and Drug Administration has warned vaping device users that there is evidence that "battery-related issues may lead to vape explosions".

Like this: