Published: Thu, June 20, 2019
Entertaiment | By Simon Arnold

Some in metro changing travel plans after Dominican Republic deaths

Some in metro changing travel plans after Dominican Republic deaths

He claims the Dominican Republic only gave him 24 hours to do so before the body would be cremated.

"In the last five years, over 30 million tourists have visited the Dominican Republic, but this is the first time the worldwide media report such an alarming situation", Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia said this month.

"She seemed to be in good health, she had medical tests here and all were good", said Kathy Giovinazzo, the assistant vice president of clinical services at the hospital, in an interview with Fox News.

The spate of deaths has some wondering if they should cancel plans to travel to the Dominican Republic.

Over the a year ago, at least seven Americans have died and hundreds more have fallen violently ill while visiting Dominican Republic hotels and resorts. "I don't know who to blame". They returned to the room later in the day, to find a "chemical smell".

Early signs, meanwhile, point to trouble: New data from the travel search engine Kayak shows searches for flights from the U.S. to the Dominican Republic dropped 19 percent during the first two weeks in June compared with the same time previous year.

As the number of American tourists who died unexpectedly continues to climb - there have been at least seven this year - some travelers are growing wary. She said the family does not know what caused his death.

Within a week, three tourists died in May at the Grand Bahia Principe in La Romana.

"I say why don't we pick another destination this year and see how they react to the events that are happening right now", Siragusa said.

Robert Wallace and David Harrison both died during or after stays at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana, their relatives said.

"There's something unusual going on that needs to be investigated", Tabari Sturdivant said in a phone conversation Tuesday morning. "Another woman, Yvette Monique Sport, reportedly died of a heart attack at another Dominican hotel in the Bahia Principe chain".

"I can only tell you this - she was healthy", he said. A family spokesman told news outlets that she collapsed after getting a drink from the minibar.

The State Department has not changed its travel advisory to the Dominican Republic in response to the deaths.

New Jersey resident Joseph Allen, 55, was found dead last week at his hotel room in the city of Sousa, his sister Jaimie Reed told CNN.

Autopsies for some of the victims have indicated heart attacks and pulmonary edema, or fluid build-up in the lungs.

Meanwhile, Rycroft's rep tells ET, "She got an upset stomach on the second day of vacation, but it passed".

The country's minister of tourism, Francisco Javier García, has assured visitors that the Dominican Republic is safe, calling the cases "isolated and regrettable" in a recent statement.

Like this: