Published: Thu, September 05, 2019
World Media | By Shelia Harmon

Pentagon OKs military construction funds to build Trump's wall

Pentagon OKs military construction funds to build Trump's wall

"Defense Secretary Mark Esper called Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday to detail the cash grab, explaining that about half of the funding will come from military construction projects outside the United States and half will come from projects within the country", Politico reported.

While Esper did not expand on which military construction projects would lose funding, he made clear that money would not be pulled away from family housing, barracks or dormitory initiatives.

Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer of NY railed against upcoming plans to shift $3.6 billion from military projects at home and overseas in order to fund President Donald Trump's wall at the US-Mexico border.

Earlier this year, President Donald Trump declared a national emergency in a bid to fund his promised wall at the U.S. -Mexico border.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) answers questions following a vote on the budget agreement August 1, 2019 in Washington, D.C. Schumer has slammed President Donald Trump for trying to "cannibalize already allocated military funding" to build his long-promised border wall.

In his letter, Esper told Congress he has "determined that 11 military construction projects along the global border with Mexico, with an estimated total cost of $3.6 billion, are necessary to support the use of the armed forces in connection with the national emergency". Contracts to build the impacted projects have not yet been awarded and construction on them was not planned to start in fiscal year 2020, which begins October 1, she said. The Pentagon indicated that the military projects are being deferred.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper began notifying lawmakers Tuesday which projects will get cancelled in their districts.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said it would challenge the latest wall funding attempt in court, reports DW.

The US Defence Department has greenlit $3.6 billion to build a controversial wall on the border with Mexico. Since President Trump's inauguration in January 2017, DHS has completed about 52 miles of border wall construction at the southern border - all of which replaces existing, dilapidated fencing like those known as "Normandy barriers" that are low to the ground, easy to climb over, and only created to stop vehicles from crossing the border.

The Laredo project and one in El Centro, California, are on private property, which would require purchase or confiscation, according to the court filing.

Mr. Trump also defended Homeland Security's decision to siphon money from emergency response and other duties and use it to pay for detaining illegal immigrants awaiting deportation, and to speed up hearings of border cases.

She said she told Esper that Trump was negating the constitutional principle of separation of powers, the aide said. An additional $40 million will go to replacing a 1.5-2 mile stretch of fencing along the bombing range.

Like this: